Mercury-Free & Mercury-Safe Office using SMART Technique


It is our position that, with the most current and advanced studies and knowledge, traditional “silver” (mercury) amalgam fillings are an inappropriate choice for today’s dentistry. Mercury makes up about 50% of an amalgam filling, and mercury vapor escapes from these fillings in amounts that may be harmful. Mercury is one of the most toxic elements known, and has no place in a material that is placed into the body.

It is not enough for a dentist to be “mercury free.” We believe it is also vitally important to be “mercury safe.” Any time an old amalgam filling is being replaced, for any reason, there is a potential for a dangerous amount of mercury vapor release. The patient, the dentist, the dental assistant and the environment are at risk if appropriate and effective protocols are not followed.

We follow the SMART technique for safe mercury amalgam removal as recommended by the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology(IAOMT.)

Skip to content